Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Allow me to introduce myself...

Hello, you can call me Cody because I have no trail name yet. In fact, I really look forward to receiving the nickname that other hikers will come to know me by. I'm currently 23 years old, although when I hit the trail in late April, I will be 24. I'm quitting the full time job that I've had for the past 3 years, to spend my summer on an adventure that I've dreamt about for years. Some may think this is absolutely crazy, considering the economy is so bad and jobs are very hard to find right now, but this trail just matters to me so much more.

I've been planning on this trip for quite awhile now, so when I broke my ankle last summer, I didn't know if it would still be physically possible for me. However, after spending much of this winter skiing hard, I can now say my ankle feels great. It took quite awhile, but I'd have to say it's just about back to normal. I hope to avoid any similar mishaps with my dainty little ankles on the trail haha.

I've done quite a bit of backpacking in the past and I really enjoy it. If there's one thing about nature that I love more than anything, it's the mountains. I've grown up here in the Pacific Northwest surrounded by them my whole life. I spent years in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts hiking and backpacking through the mountains in this area. Scouts has left me with a wealth of knowledge on life in the backcountry and I'm confident in my skills.

So now I'm in the thick of the insane amount of planning required to thru-hike the trail. There is just so much to do and I really don't want to overlook anything. Even though I'm a huge risk taker and slightly wreckless, the Scouts taught me to always "Be Prepared". And that's a little tough when you're trying to backpack ultra-light. But have no fear, I've done my research and determined that all this is perfectly within reason.

My last day of work is 2 months from today. Then I leave for the trail 6 days after that. I will be ready and I'm really super stoked! But for now, there is still 2 months of skiing in the beautiful mountains around my home. Time to enjoy the last of the Pacific Northwest powder, before heading into the sun of Southern California...

No comments:

Post a Comment