Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Well needed half day off!

Hey guys, I'm sitting here at the library in Julian, CA. I got an early start today, leaving camp at about 6:15am. I wanted to get out on the trail while it was still slightly cool, due to the long descent into the desert valley. However, after about an hour, the sun was up and it was already blistering hot. My knees really began to hurt yesterday as I dropped lower and lower out the mountains. Today wasn't much better and it makes every step very tough. I guess the good news is that the blisters on my feet are getting a little better and not so painful. Honestly, my whole body aches, but I've gotten good at ignoring the pain as I move because if I didn't, I would get nowhere. The knee problems are slightly hard to ignore though!

Once I reached the valley floor, there was about a 2 mile walk through exactly what I'd picture a desert to be. Lots of cacti and other prickly plants hanging out over the trail trying to grab at my legs. It was so insanely hot, I'm glad it wasn't any longer. So I got to HWY 78 and I knew I was probably going to hitch into Julian because I am out of suncreen (somehwhat essential out here) and I also wanted to get a few other things. I came up on two other hikers I'd met earlier and we managed to get a hitch within about a half hour, not bad! She was even nice enough to give us a full tour of small, but very pretty Julian CA. The guys talked me into splitting a hotel room (it wasn't hard), so I could take the rest of the day off and shower, eat real food, and ice my knees. I thought I was quite tan, however most it scrubbed off in the shower haha!

It has been really pretty so far in the desert mountains. There is a lot more vegitation that I had imagined and all colors of beautiful wildflowers. Plus, the cacti are just starting to bloom which is a real treat! There was a huge border patrol presence the first day or two and I never saw any illegals, just discarded clothes from them. There are all sorts of birds, lizards, insects, small mammals, and snakes (no rattlers, yet). Although I have yet to see anything large, I did wake up to the terrible screams of an animal for about 10 mins, on the 2nd night. We discussed it in the morning and decided it was probably a bobcat making a kill, possible even a mountain lion.

I have met a ton of really nice people out here, most of which I've leap frogged with the last 3 or 4 days. I usually hike alone which I actually enjoy and always try to camp with others. It's funny, I find I talk to myself quite a bit while I hike and sometimes try to have conversations with the hundereds of skiddish lizards that scurry away when I approach. There has been a lot of very low, overgrown, prickly brush that scrapes the back of my sunburnt legs while I walk down the trail. If these mountains could talk, they'd probably say I have quite the potty mouth haha! Hey, I've got so deal with the pain somehow.

Well I'm off to wander this touristy town and spend some time relaxing before I make the huge climb into the very menacing looking San Felipe Hills tomorrow. It's some 19 miles to the next water source from there, so my pack will be heavy with fluids. I think about home constantly and how much I miss everybody. The next time you hear from me, I should be in Warner Springs taking a FULL day off and relaxing in the pools. Love you guys!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Code, it is good to see you posting! I hope you can work through the knee problem, that sounds like a pain. The blisters are normal and to be expected. Not much fun, but normal. Enjoy your shower and bed! Thanks for updating, we are all thinking about you. Take lots of photos and don't forget to enjoy the scenery.

    ~Alden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cody, After we talked on the phone yesterday I started feeling a little sorry for the poor lady who picked up you three stinky hikers. Hopefully you rolled the windows down, ha ha. We sure hope the icing and rest helped the knee pain. Have a great couple of days on the trail to Warner Hot Springs. Dad

    ReplyDelete